1. Payday for ice bucket challenge’s mocked slacktivists (Nicholas Kristof / New York Times)
2. Al Jazeera America digital journalists unionize (Michael Calderone / Huffington Post)
3. As giant platforms rise, local news is getting crushed (Joshua Benton / Nieman Lab)
4. A diverse local news ecosystem is emerging, and it doesn’t need ‘scale’ or venture capital (Matt DeRienzo / Medium)
5. Inside the BBC’s proposals for a closer relationship with hyperlocal media (Catalina Albeanu / Journalism.co.uk)
6. AOL confirms it is buying Millennial Media in deal to expand in mobile ads (Ingrid Lunden / TechCrunch)
7. Snapchat now drawing 4 billion video views per day, challenging Facebook Video (Salvador Rodriguez / International Business Times)
Our Daily Must Reads come out Monday through Friday.
Subscribe on this page to have them delivered directly to your inbox!