Must Reads is MediaShift’s daily curation of the big stories about media and technology from across the web. Sign up here to get these delivered right to your inbox.
1. Democracy Fund and First Look Media Provide $12 Million in Grant Funding for independent and Non-Profit Journalism (Joe Goldman / Democracy Fund)
2. Tronc’s Second-Largest Shareholder Raises Corporate Governance Questions (Lukas I. Alpert / Wall Street Journal)
3. Google and Facebook Can’t Just Make Fake News Disappear (Danah Boyd / Back Channel)
4. Mobile-Focused Startup Quartz Manages to Actually Turn a Profit on Digital Journalism (Matthew Flamm / Advertising Age)
5. Software Engineer Starts Unlikely Business: A Weekly Newspaper (Rick Rojas / New York Times)
6. The Times’ Subscription Sales Jump 200 Percent Since Pivoting From Breaking News (Jessica Davies / Digiday)
Get the Daily Must Reads in Your Inbox!