Title: Snapchat and Instagram Stories for Journalists
Instructor: Tim Cigelske, MediaShift Metrics Section Associate Editor
Snapchat and Instragram — not just for teens anymore
Snapchat and Instagram have become legitimate distribution outlets for news publishers, including at CNN, the Wall Street Journal, Vox, Mashable, Buzzfeed and many more. This training will teach journalists and storytellers how to use Snapchat and Instagram Stories to strengthen their audience engagement, especially among millennials and other early adopters of these “ephemeral messaging” platforms.
Drawing on real-world case studies, this course will show how Instagram and Snapchat can be used to respond to unfolding events in real time and (believe it or not) even tell substantive stories. This training will cover the culture of Snapchat and Instagram and equip participants with tactical skills they can use on their own accounts.
What you’ll learn from this training:
- Who is on Snapchat and Instagram Stories and why they use it
- Examples of media using Snapchat and Instagram’s core functions
- How to create Snapchat and Instagram stories
- How to respond and reply to others on these platforms
Who should take this training:
- Multimedia journalists looking to expand distribution
- Editors, reporters and storytellers seeking to understand Snapchat and Instagram culture
- Snapchat and Instagram Stories newbies and novices looking to gain tactical skills
Date and Time: Sep. 15, 2016 at 1 pm ET / 10 am PT
Note: If you can’t attend the live session, you can still register and see the archived video and ask questions of the instructor. Free registration for BigMarker is required.
About the Instructor:
Tim Cigelske (@TeecycleTim) is the Associate Editor of MetricShift. He has reported and written for the Associated Press, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Budget Travel, Adventure Cyclist and more. Today, he is the Director of Social Media at Marquette University as well as an adjunct professor teaching media writing and social media analytics. You may also know him as The Beer Runner blogger for DRAFT Magazine.