Must Reads is MediaShift’s daily curation of the big stories about media and technology from across the web. Sign up here to get these delivered right to your inbox.
1. Forget Apple vs. the FBI: WhatsApp Just Switched on Encryption for a Billion People (Cade Metz / Wired)
2. Medium Wants to be a One-Stop Solution for Publishers (Mathew Ingram / Fortune)
3. 9-Year-Old Reporter Breaks Crime News, Posts Videos, Fires Back at Critics (Tom Jackman / The Washington Post)
4. Apple News is Using Twitter to Bring in New Readers (Micah Singleton / The Verge)
5. How Surveillance Stifles Dissent on the Internet (Kaveh Waddell / The Atlantic)
6. Twitter, the NFL, and the Return of the Monoculture (Russell Brandom / The Verge)