Title: Snapchat for Journalists
Instructor: Tim Cigelske, MediaShift metrics section associate editor
Snapchat: Not just for teens anymore
Snapchat has become a legitimate distribution outlet for the media, including by CNN, the Wall Street Journal, Vox, Mashable, Buzzfeed and many more. This training will explain why Snapchat has grown so dramatically and how it has become the key platform for engaging Millennials and Gen Z.
This 1-hour session will use case studies to show how journalists can harness the engagement of the Snapchat platform to respond to unfolding events in real time and (believe it or not) even tell substantive stories. This training will provide both a primer into Snapchat culture as well as equip participants with tactical skills they can use on their own Snapchat accounts.
What you’ll learn from this training:
- Who is on Snapchat and why they use it
- Examples of media using Snapchat’s core functions
- How to “snap” and reply to individuals
- How to create your own Snapchat journalism “story”
Who should take this training:
- Multimedia journalists looking to expand distribution
- Editors and reporters seeking to understand Snapchat culture
- Snapchat newbies and novices looking to gain tactical skills
Date and Time: April 6, 2016 at 1 pm ET / 10 am PT
Note: If you can’t attend the live session, you can still register and see the archived video and ask questions of the instructor. Free registration for BigMarker is required.
About the Instructor:
Tim Cigelske is a social media speaker and consultant, professor of media writing and social media analytics and director of social media at Marquette University.