Must Reads is MediaShift’s daily curation of the big stories about media and technology from across the web. Sign up here to get these delivered right to your inbox.
1. What If It Weren’t An iPhone? What The Apple/FBI Case Means For The Industry (Alina Selyukh / NPR)
2. How BuzzFeed Thinks About Data, And Some Charts, Too (Dao Nguyen / BuzzFeed)
3. The New Yorker on Amazon Isn’t Just TV. It’s a Whole New Kind of Magazine (Julia Greenberg / Wired)
4. Jose Antonio Vargas is Launching #EmergingUS Outside the L.A. Times, Aiming to Crowdfund $1M (Shan Wang / Nieman Lab)
5. Facebook Plans To Put Ads In Messenger (Josh Constine and Jon Russell / TechCrunch)
6. What The Guardian Learned From Comparing Facebook Live and Periscope for Event Coverage (Madeline Welsh / Nieman Lab)