Title: Crowdfunding 101 for Journalism Projects
Instructor: Khari Johnson, Editor, Through the Cracks: Crowdfunding in Journalism
Crowdfunding is the latest trend in a media world in search of money beyond ads, and it’s the most exciting thing happening in journalism today. This is course will not only teach you how to fund your ideas but will introduce you to innovation happening at the edges of our industry.
We will examine crowdfunding basics, the key elements of successful campaigns and take a look at 20 of the most interesting ways reporters, photographers and filmmakers around the world are using this tool. We’ll discuss why people give money to crowdfunded journalism and the kinds of stories people are most likely to pay to see reported.
We’ll also talk about benefits beyond money. “Funding” may be in the name but this tool contributes way more than money to the growth or well-being of a publication or startup.
Crowdfunding routinely makes possible things that seemed wholly impossible years ago. Take this course to learn how to bring your ideas to life.
What you’ll learn from this training:
- The basics of crowdfunding including the different kinds and the projected growth of the crowdfunding industry
- Best practices of a successful campaign – how to get funded
- Approaches taken by news organizations and freelancers to incorporate crowdfunding into their growth strategy
- Crowdfunding beyond money – changes in the ad revenue model and the future of journalism
Who should take this training:
- Reporters, photographers or filmmakers with an independent or entrepreneurial streak
- Media startup founders, newsroom leaders and executives
Date and Time: Aug. 18, 2015 at 1 pm ET / 10 am PT
Note: If you can’t attend the live session, you can still register and see the archived video and ask questions of the instructor. Registration for BigMarker is required.
About the Instructor:
Khari Johnson is the creator of Through the Cracks: Crowdfunding in Journalism, a a news website devoted to coverage of innovation, storytelling and news startups made possible by crowdfunding. Khari is a journalist with a background in local news who is fascinated by financial tech, social enterprise and the sharing economy. A practitioner and student of entrepreneurial journalism, Khari has built or helped build news startups for the past decade.