Title: Build a Student Media Powerhouse on Digital, Mobile and Social
Practical ideas and exercises to kick off your school year and take your student media to a new level
Instructor: Dan Reimold, assistant professor of journalism at Saint Joseph’s University
To better engage readers, motivate staffers and report the news, student media teams must ramp up their daily digital, mobile and social media efforts. Think your small staff size, competing class commitments or lack of tech savvy makes daily content production and brand building impossible? Think again.
With a new school year set to start, this one-hour session will feature a rapid-fire breakdown of ideas and exercises aimed at fueling your new media storytelling and audience engagement potential. The focus will be on providing innovative, yet practical tips and the types of examples you can duplicate or adapt for use at your own outlet ASAP — every day of the week. Ample time will also be set aside to answer attendee questions.
What You’ll Learn from This Training:
– Remaking the newsroom into an everyday news hub
– Building a successful daily student blog
– Mining social media for daily story slugs
– Identifying and attaching your outlet to daily viral content
– Daily marketing, moneymaking and promotional ventures
– The art of the email newsletter
– Real-time campus crime and police reporting
– Stub reporting, or building a story before readers’ eyes
– Dan will provide a list of links with how-tos and case studies to download
Who should take this training:
– Student media advisers interested in doing more with digital, mobile and social media
– Student journalists who are making digital and mobile more of a priority
– Journalism and media educators who want to launch a successful class project or school-sponsored student news service or media outlet
– Graduate students, professional journalists and public relations professionals interested in learning more about how the next generation of journalists is innovating and experimenting
Please feel free to email questions or related areas of interest to Dan prior to the session at [email protected] or post them on the DigitalEd page. He will also take questions throughout the session and leave time at the end for a quick Q&A.
Date and Time: August 26, 2015 at 1 pm ET / 10 am PT
Note: If you can’t attend the live session, you can still register and see the archived video and ask questions of the instructor. Registration for BigMarker is required.
About the Instructor:
Dan Reimold is a journalism professor, student media adviser, author and reporter who writes and presents frequently on student press issues and trends. He founded and maintains the daily student press blog College Media Matters and wrote the book “Journalism of Ideas: Brainstorming, Developing, and Selling Stories in the Digital Age.”