I am working up a post on reader comments to news stories on media sites, comments on media-hosted blogs, or media hosted online forums.
At the recent Online News Association conference there was definitely a sense of turmoil surrounding reader comments online. I’d hate to see interactivity switched off due to the lack of “here is how we make it work” knowledge sharing. Those in local media are in particular asked to send in some success stories.
Please comment here or privately to me – firstname.lastname@example.org – about your success stories. Add links to examples when possible.
Some questions to ponder:
1. How are your online reader comments helping your media organization meet your mission?
2. Share a story about how a particular comment or set of online comments influenced follow-up reporting.
3. Share a story about how a particular comment or set of online comments influenced a local government decision or decision-maker.
4. Have readers acted as “citizens” on your forums to organize or coordinate action to meet some sort of local public challenge?
5. What generates the highest volume of comments as well as page views?
6. What technology has worked best for you? How is your technology generating better value?